Thoughts, questions, things to consider from today's reading-
1. Jacob, the trickster, has been tricked several times by Laban...ultimately steals away like a "thief in the night" to escape his "slavery
2. Rachel leaves with her household god(s). Hedging her bets. Then lies about having them (okay a "white lie", a lie of omission, but what's the diff!)
3. What is/are your gods?
4. Mizpah-watchtower. We have a more positive impression of the Mizpah. Many people currently wear rings or medallions signifying an emotional bond between people who are separated (either physically or by death)..."And Mizpah; for he said, The Lord watch between me and thee, when we are absent one from another."
5. Jacob "subjugating" himself to his brother Esau by referring to him as master. Remember he stole this man's birthright and blessing.
6. Don't be afraid of those who want to kill your body; they cannot kill your soul. Fear only God...
7. How do we acknowledge Jesus and the sacrifice He made for you and me?
8. Enemies are closer than you think.
9. John, the Baptist. In the natural John, like the rest of us, doubts. In the spiritual realm, he knows who Jesus is...they met in the womb.
10. Psalms- I don't know how long my troubles will last, but I will trust in your unfailing love.
11. Wisdom- the path to long life, riches, honor, and a less difficult life.
What strikes you about these passages...