1. The Lord was with Joseph, so he succeeded in everything he did...the Lord is with us always, even when it doesn't look like we are being successful.
2. Potiphar was blessed because of his association with Joseph. Many times others are blessed through us, as we are through them. We are meant to be in community.
3. Joseph does not sleep with Potiphar's wife for a number or reasons.
- First, it would be a betrayal of his masters trust. What are we thinking when we betray other's? Are we thinking of the temporary satisfaction of some blinding passion? Are we thinking of the short and long-term consequences of what we do? The people we may hurt?
- Second, it is a sin against God. Remember, we haven't gotten to God's written Law, the Ten Commandments, yet. Moses and the written law are still ahead of us in our studies. But, someone has taught Joseph the basics of what God expects from us and what makes a man a man. And he has held fast to these values even in times of despair, and perhaps great temptation.
4. Joseph runs away. Frequently we forget the most basic approach to dealing with bad influences...move away, run if you have to!
5. In prison, the Lord was with Joseph.
6. Interpreting dreams is God's business. Joseph has finally learned that he is but a vessel for this "gift." We all have gifts and talents given to us by God. Do we use them to good purpose?
7. Patience in waiting on the Lord. It was two years before he was summoned to see the Pharaoh.
8. He's been in prison, and has to be cleaned up to see the Pharaoh. This passage reminds me of when Jacob' preparation to take his family home. He told them to bath, change their clothes. They were on their way to a "new life."
9. He has come to interpret the dreams of the Pharaoh. He rightfully gives glory to God. "It is beyond my power, but God can tell you..."
10. From Matthew, we are family. It is Christ that unites us.
11. The parable-
- Seeds on the footpath. The birds steal the seeds. We hear, but we make no attempt to understand. The evil one then comes to steal the seeds of faith from our heart and destroy us.
-Seeds in/on the shallow soil. Sprout quickly, but soon wilt in the heat / light of day. We hear and we appear to flourish quickly. But we lack deep roots (understanding) to sustain us. We fail as soon as problems arise.
-Seeds among the weeds. Our new found faith is choked out by worries. Once again, we lack sustenance prevail against our attackers.
-Seeds in fertile ground, produce abundant crop/harvest. These to Jesus represented the people who hear and understand.
12. "Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand."
- "I am praying to you because I know you will answer, O God."
- "When I awake. I will see you face to face and be satisfied." When I awake from this life. When I awake from stumbling around in the dark. When I actually open my eyes. When I begin to see and hear and understand. When I awaken, when I awaken, I will see you. But you've been there (for me) all along.
-The interpretation from The Message says, "...the fool gets the booby prize."
see ya next post