Old Testament Text
1. The people are asked once again to purify themselves.
2. The giving of the Ten Commandments. These are actually some pretty simple and straightforward rules to live by.
-Honor God above all else. How easy to say, and how difficult to do. We put so many other things ahead of God. Our jobs, our money, ourselves, and even our children.
- Rest, and keep the Sabbath set aside for the Lord.
- Honor your parents.
- Don't covet- things, people, other peoples possessions.
- Don't lie.
3. Fair treatment of slaves.
New Testament text
4. Jesus' ongoing discussion with the Pharisees. He calls them hypocrites. Much of what they do is for show. I am moved by the passage about tithing the tiniest portion from herb gardens- but not justice, mercy and faith.
Many Christians today are accused of being hypocrites. I think this ia true because we are frequently blided by our "religious" rules and regulations. And we forget that we are dealing with other frail human beings. People who would benefit from a little love and grace. Perhaps they just aren't as well put together as we think we are. Perhaps they are.
Jesus says the Ten Commandments, all the Mosaic teachings boil down to 2 things
- Love God, above all
- Love your neighbor as yourself.
5. "The Lord is my strength and sheild...I burst out in songs of thanksgiving"
6. Keep wisdom and insight close