1. The waters of purification.
2. The waters of Meribah
- The people are once again complaining. They are thirsty. "If only we had died..."
- Moses and Aaron speak to God, and He instructs them to SPEAK to the rock, and water will pour out.
- Moses is so angry with the people he strikes the rock twice.
- For this, they will not enter the Promised Land.
- Why? The purpose of speaking to the rock was to clearly demonstrate that it was God's glory that produced the miracle. Moses put a little too much of himself into the mix. Moses obeyed God...sort of. But God takes this as a lack of trust. And, Moses and Aaron are punished.
3. The people arrive at Kadesh, but the king of Edom will not let them pass. They try to negotiate, but can't make any progress. So, they are forced to go around.
4. Miriam has already died. Now Aaron dies.
- His son Eleazar takes on his father's responsibilities.
5. We pass another landmark. We have finished Mark and begin Luke.
6. The Birth of John the Baptist Foretold
- Zechariah, Jewish priest is taking his turn in the Temple.
- His union with Elizabeth has not been blessed with children. They are old.
- The angel Gabriel appears to him. He starts the same way all angelic counters seem to start, "Don’t be afraid..." He tells him about his future son, whom he will name John.
- So what does Zechariah do, he doesn't beleive him. His punishment is that he will not be able to speak until his son is born. Don't you think you'd beleive an angel?
- His wife Elizabeth conceives.
7. "...when I am afraid, I will put my trust in you."
8. "I trust in God, so why should I be afraid? What can mere mortals do to me?"
9."The godly are rescued from trouble."
See you next post...