1. Victory over the Canaanite. Remember Canaan, that's where we are going.
- The people mad a vow to God to completely destroy the city if God helped them.
2. Don't worry, it didn't last long. The people are complaining again...no food, no water, Moses, etc.
- God sends poisonous snakes, the people are bitten, and many die. The people, of course turn to Moses to intercede for them. He does. Then God commands him to make a bronze snake to heal the people.
3. The people have several more victories. Balak, who is the son of the Moabite king (Zippor), sends for Balaam to curse the people.
- God visits Balaam and tells him not to curse the people, they are blessed. Balaam sends them home, but they return at a later time to make a second request. This time God says to go with them, "but do only what I tell you to do."
-This can't be good...
5. The angel Gabriel returns, and this time foretells the birth of Jesus. this visit of course is to Mary, who is engaged to Joseph.
- He fills her in on Elizabeth's pregnancy and blessing.
- Mary's reply has to be the most perfect answer ever..."I am the Lord’s servant. May everything you have said about me come true."
- I am the Lord's servant. No question, no back-talk, no explanations about why she couldn't do this. Just, "I am the Lord's servant."
6. Mary visits Elizabeth. Elizabeth's baby responds to the sound of Mary's voice. Or is he responding to the presence of the Lord...the One he is to pave the way for?
- Mary's song of praise.
7. "My heart is confident in you, O God."
8. "Upright citizens are good for a city and make it prosper, but the talk of the wicked tears it apart."
See you next post...