1. God gives His reassurance to Jacob..." Do not be afraid. I will go with you and bring you back."
Isn't this the promise that God gives us all...that He will never leave us? No matter how low the depths, how great the burden, how dark the night...He will never leave us.
2. Jacob answers unswervingly, "Here I am."
3. Jacob goes to Egypt. The family is united. Seventy six (76) people , Joseph's entire family come to join him in Egypt. This is the entirety of the "children of Israel". We will see that many, many more Israelites will leave when the time comes.
4. They live separated from the Egyptians. Who they are and what they do (herd sheep) are abominations to the Egyptians. The additional benefit is that this physical separation is that it is a natural barrier for intermarriage. Remember that was a problem in Canaan.
The land they receive is fertile. They are given excellent living conditions in which their numbers will grow rapidly.
5. The famine continues and we see the greatness of Egypt falter. First the people give all their money to the Pharaoh (via Joseph) for the grain. Then they give all their livestock. Then they give the land, and finally themselves as slaves. When they are enslaved they are given seed to plant. When they harvest the crop they are compelled to give one fifth of it back to the Pharaoh.
6. Jacob asks to be buried "back home."
New Testament / Matthew text
7. Its not what a man eats or how he washes that contaminates him. It is his heart. The good, bad, bitter and sweet things that come from our mouths start in our hearts. The heart and what goes on there are where the work of the kingdom is done.
8. Until He was rejected by the people of Israel, Jesus dutifully made Himself available to them. The Canaanite woman recognize who he was. Her request was granted because of her great faith.
9. I think the interpretation in The Message is clearer..
- God vaults across the sky, warming hearts to faith
- The revelation of God is whole
- The signposts of God are clear
- The life maps of God are right
- The directions of God are plain
- God's reputation is 24 carat gold
- The decisions of God are accurate
- God's Word is better than a diamond, better than a diamond set between emeralds
- God's Word warns us of danger and directs us to hidden treasure; otherwise how will we find our way
- Keep me from stupid sins.
Ever make / do any of those?
10. Stay off the path of the wicked..."they eat the bread of wickedness and drink the wine of violence. " The way of the wicked is like deep darkness. Better to stay on the path of the righteous, where you can see.
See you next post...