1. The people get anxious when Moses takes so long to return. They make a golden calf. They are sort of following the rules. They plan to make the appropriate sacrifices that God demanded, but instead will give them to their new, and improved, temporary, fill-in "god." We will see that the Israelites backslide many, many times. And God takes them back. Again and again. Because He is merciful.
But the lesson here is for us as well. What's our little god? What thing do we put in the place of God- money, children, ego?
2. And what does Aaron, the high priset do? He buckles under peer pressure. I am sure none of us have ever done that!
3. God threatens to destroy the people. But Moses reasons with Him and He changes His mind.
4. Talk about anger, Moses really "tips over." He destroys the tablets from God, he burns up the calf, grinds it into powder and makes the people drink it. Then he has the Levites kill anyone not on the Lord's side...3,000 people. Wow!
5. Moses goes back to plead with God for the people. God sends them on their way, but will no longer travel with them. And, He will only speak to Moses. and He relents furthe...He will travel with Moses. Remember God said from the beginning of this adventure that He would be with Him. He is keeping His promise, despite the Israelites actions.
6. Moses asks to see "the glory of God." And God does this, but covers Moses to protect him. To be considered a friend of God...that must have been amazing. Like Abraham...remember?
-The other thing to remind ourselves of here is that the patriarchs are normal every day people. They aren't some type of super-human. They are human, like us. They have emotions and feelings, like us. They make mistakes, just like we do. Look back at Moses life- he was marked for death as an infant, fished out of the Nile by the Pharaoh's daught, killed an Egyptian, fled to Midian, called by God...and He listened.
7. Peter denies Christ, as Christ had predicted. With the sound of the cock's crow Peter is convicted.
8. Judas is remorseful, and hangs himself. Anyoune think that fulfilling your mission in life, acting on your "ministry" should end up with you killing yourself.
9. Judas tries to return to 30 pieces of silver. But they don't want ot back. Actually they do, but they can't put it back in the offering because it's "dirty." So they buy a field to bury foreigners in. Does using "dirty" money to do something good make the money clean?...just a thought.
10. Jesus comes before Pilate, but is silent.
11. "Let the godly sing for joy to the Lord; it is fitting for the pure to praise him." Don't forget or lose your joy.
12. Wisdom-- "For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the Lord."
See you next post...